Want to work with us?
We welcome your interest in Boston City Singers! Our employees find their positions to be challenging and rewarding with ample room for growth. Please send a letter of interest and resume to the Managing Director - Melissgraham@bostoncitysingers.org.
ANNOUNCING A PART-TIME JOB OPENING FOR AN ACCOMPANIST
$55 - 68 per hour starting in September 2022
Cambridge Children's Chorus, a division of Boston City Singers, is a unique community where “love is born, peace is kept, and magic is real.”
Our programs are gateways to life-changing experiences.
Others supporting the Cambridge programs include Jaime Alberts (Assistant Artistic Director - Cantare), Wendy Silverberg (Training Chorus Director), an Administrative Program Manager for each chorus, Teaching Fellows from area conservatories and Teen Mentors drawn from our programs.
Position Title: Piano Accompanist(s)
Hours • Weekly Rehearsals: Tuesdays - 4:30-6:30 and/or Thursdays - 4:30-6:00
NOTE: We will consider two separate accompanists should applicants be available for only one of these programs.)
• Preparation for rehearsals (2 hours weekly for each program)
Start Date September 2022
Location St. James Episcopal Church, 1991 Massachusetts Ave., North Cambridge
Reports to Assistant Artistic Director (Cantare) and Training Chorus Director
Additional Additional rehearsals and performances as needed (3-6 times per year)
The job of the accompanist is to provide piano accompaniment for rehearsals and performances, leading sectional rehearsals, and be a role model for our young singers.
The successful candidate has the capacity to learn, understand and uplift our members, families, and communities through musical excellence.
Specific skill-based competencies include excellent keyboard and sight reading skills and the ability to work with large ensembles, solo vocalists, and instrumentalists.
- Analyzes assigned music prior to rehearsal and performances (e.g., correct tempos, challenging transitions, dynamics, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring efficient use of rehearsal time and performance schedules.
- Assists the directors in supervising student activities, ensuring efficient use of class time, and maintaining a positive learning environment.
- Exhibits professional and stage etiquette
- Performs other related duties ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of our programs.
- Undertakes additional artistic and administrative tasks as necessary.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
- Is reliable and punctual.
- Enjoys working with singers in grades 2 – 9.
- Is a proficient sight reader.
- Can improvise as needed.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A Bachelor of Music degree
- Collaborative pianist experience
- Exemplary teaching ability/experience
- Passion for music as a vehicle for positive social change
- Experience working (music-related or other) with disadvantaged, urban/rural youth
- Exemplary music performance ability/experience
- Ability to inspire, work with and mentor our members
- Excellent interpersonal skills and interest in working as a member of a team
- Ability to adapt, be flexible, and have a sense of humor
Part-time hourly rate of $55 - $68, commensurate with experience
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Accompanist” no later than August 26, 2022. Interviews and teaching auditions will be held on a rolling basis. This position may be filled prior to the application deadline. No phone calls please.